One of the biggest things that can turn a buyer off other than smoke and pet smells is a dark and cold property. Allowing the light in and bringing some light and brightness to your rooms is an essential step when preparing your home for the market. Follow these nine steps below to ensure you are not leaving your buyers in the dark.
1. Increase the wattage of the bulbs in existing lights, being sure not to exceed the manufacturers recommendations.
2. Remove sheer curtains that may be over the blinds in the room. They may be thin but they filter out quite a bit of light.
3. Remove any heavy shade cloth on external fly screens
4. Open external window shutters
5. Make sure sky lights or sky tube have clean and transparent filters, t maximize the light they let in.
6. No matter what wattage bulbs you use, you will not light up a room if the light shade is full of dirt and dead bugs. So get them all down and give them a good scrub to make sure the light fittings and shades are clean.
7. Accessorise with light coloured soft furnishings to help reflect the light around the room. Check out my post on great affordable linen options here (insert link)
8. Add accent lighting to the space using table and bedside lamps (images below from lazy susan Australia)
9. In living spaces or by a reading chair incorporate a floor lamp. It will help create a layered and intimate space as well as help brighten a dim room. (images below from MRD HOME)