Figuring out how to stay above your competition can be difficult. Do you drop your prices? Do you become more like your competition? Do you change your core business structure? The great news is that you don’t have to do any of the above! In the age of technology, you can do a million and one things to switch up your business and create a unique element of interest that set you above other home stagers in your area. All that you have to decide is what ideas you are going to pursue!
- Create a YouTube channel: it’s no secret that YouTube is the place to be at the moment. Creating a YouTube channel where you can either give home staging advice, film the process of a staging a property right from the planning in the beginning to the final product (you will have to get your clients permission for this), film your day to create a ‘Day in the Life of a Home Stager’ vlog or even just discussing key topics in the industry is a great way to promote your business, earn some extra money and create a whole new business venture.
- Start a blog: this is just the written version of a YouTube video. Blogs are a great way to engage your audience and to share advice and your thoughts.
- Do warehouse tours: believe it or not home staging involves a lot of storage and everyone stores things differently. Joining up with some other local home stagers and each hosting a warehouse tour on a weekend will allow for maximum creativity flow, new ideas of storage and will bring the community closer together.
- Creating an online op-shop: it is inevitable that home staging businesses have a reasonable amount of stock turnover and broken stock. Instead of just throwing these pieces away because they can’t be used in staging project anymore put them online. This can be connection to your home staging business website and acts as a side project. Whenever an item of stock wont be used again just post it on the op-shop for someone else to buy. You can label the stock as pick up only between certain times. This is a great way to regularly clear out old or broken stock to make way for new items.
- Hosting regular home staging meet ups: it is of utmost importance to have positive relationships with other home stagers in your area. Hosting a meet up every few months will allow for a community to form where you are able to discuss local issues in the home staging community and create other events such as educational events and charity events.