Networking is a cost effective way to generate new business leads and make connections with other like-minded people. I strongly believe networking is an important part of having a successful business. Here are some tips I always follow:
- Always have business cards with you. You can build your network anywhere! Waiting for the kids to finish school, at a birthday party or at the shops.
- Listen, even though networking is about you it is important to listen to what somebody else is saying in case you can’t help them but somebody in your network can.
- Be interested. Showing that you are interested in somebody is a vital part of networking.
- When you have to speak, make sure you have a speech ready to go, introducing yourself smoothly and confidently.
- Follow the top communication rule: giving eye contact!
- Do not stay talking to the same person for hours at an event, make sure you make the rounds giving everyone a piece of your time, allowing you to meet new people and possible business associates.
- Following up is essential – send everyone you met a card, email, Facebook message, tweet, text or even give them a call.
- Make sure you stay in touch with people you felt like you could work with in the future because chances are, you probably will.
Following these tips will has countless benefits including greater exposure for your business and further opportunities.