It could not be further from the truth when I hear people say home staging is all about cushions! This is something IIHS feels so strongly about and is one reason we are working hard with HSRA (Home Staging and Redesign Association) in America to get some rigour and standards into the profession.
To some — maybe the hobbyist — it might be all about cushions, lamps and throws, but to a professional home stager it is all about real estate. And to be a home stager you will need a broad and diverse skill set. So if you are thinking about getting involved in one of the fastest growing professions in the country, here are some skills you will need to acquire:
- Sound knowledge of design principles
- Good knowledge of trends and forecasting in interior design
- Strong knowledge of colour
- Exceptional communication skills
- Expansive local knowledge of the real estate market, its needs and expectations
- Negotiation skills
- Very strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a small team as well as a large multidisciplinary team
- Strong sense of style without imposing it on your clients
- High level of professionalism and ability to maintain the trust of those that allow you into their homes.
Combining all of these skills will find you well placed in the business of home staging with the potential to have a thriving business. Check out the Australian and New Zealand arm of HSRA to learn how to develop a thriving business.